Selected Odonate Photography Web Sites
- America Dragonfly
- Biggs, K: Odonates of the SW United States
- Biggs, K: Odonates of CA
- Bruun, R.’s Photography
- Bryant, P.J. and Hemberger, R.: Odonates of Orange County, CA
- Burns, J.: Odonata Photography
- Davis, K. and Strangeland, M. Arizona Odonate Photography
- Hibbitts, T. and D.: Dragonflies and Damselflies
- Johnson, A.: Arizona Odonata
- Krotzer, S.: Odonate nymphs
- Lasley, G.: North American Dragonflies and Damselflies (including Mexico)
- Murray, T.: Odonates of CA and NV
- Neotropic Dragonfly
- Odonates for beginners
- Puget Sound (WA): Slater Museum of Natural History
- Reid, M.: Odonata pictures (various regions)
- Roberson, D.: Odonates of Monterey County, CA
Selected Odonate Identification/Biology Books
- Abbott, J.C. 2005. Dragonflies and Damselflies of Texas and the South-Central United States. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ, 344 pp.
- Behrstock, R.A. 2008. Dragonflies and Damselflies of the Southwest. Rio Nuevo Publishers, Tucson, AZ, 96 pp.
- Biggs, K. 2004. Common Dragonflies of the Southwest. Azalea Creek Publishing, CA, 160 pp.
- Biggs, K. 2009. Common Dragonflies of California. Azalea Creek Publishing, CA, 128 pp.
- Corbet, P.S. 1999. Dragonflies: behavior and ecology of Odonata. Compstock, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, 829 pp.
- Dijkstra K-D. B. 2006. Field Guide to the Dragonflies of Britain and Europe. British Wildlife Publishing, Dorset, UK, 320 pp.
- Dunkle, S.W. 2000. Dragonflies through Binoculars. A Field Guide to Dragonflies of North America. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NY, 252 pp.
- Manolis, T. 2003. Dragonflies and Damselflies of California. Univ. CA Press, CA, 201 pp.
- May M.L. and Dunkle S.W. 2007. Damselflies of North America - Color Supplement. Scientific Publishers, Gainesville, FL, 156 pp.
- Mitchell F.L. and Lasswell J.L. 2005. A Dazzle of Dragonflies. Texas A&M University Press, College Station, TX, 224 pp.
- Needham J.G., Westfall M.J., Jr. and May M.L. 2014. Dragonflies of North America, third edition. Scientific Publishers, Gainesville, FL, 657 pp.
- Paulson, D. 2009. Dragonflies and Damselflies of the West. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ, 535 pp.
- Paulson, D. 2011. Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ, 538 pp.
- Westfall M.J., Jr and May M.L. 2006. Damselflies of North America - Revised Edition. Scientific Publishers, Gainesville, FL, 502 pp.
Equipment and Image Processing
Until 2012 pictures were for the most part taken using a Canon Powershot S5 digital camera equipped with a close-up lens (Canon, 500 D) together with a Sony x1.7 Tele Conversion lens.
Starting in 2012 most pictures were taken using a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX200V digital camera.
Starting in 2013, pictures were taken using a Canon Powershot SX50 HV digital camera.
Almost all pictures were taken using natural daylight and without artificial flash.
Most images are processed using Adobe Photoshop and Topaz DeNoise, Detail, and/or Adjust filters. Processing may include cropping, change in orientation, adjustments of the contrast and color balance, noise reduction, and/or sharpening. Except in rare cases, processing is applied to the whole picture rather than only to parts of it.